United Nations Development Programme, Poverty Unit
Location: Jaipur (Rajasthan Mission on Livelihoods)
Last Date: May 11, 2009
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
Opening Date: 27th April, 2009
Closing Date: 11th May, 2009
Position: Communications Consultant
Organization: United Nations Development Programme, Poverty Unit
Duty Station: Jaipur (Rajasthan Mission on Livelihoods
Duration: Seven months (120 work days consultancy)
Contract type: Special Service Agreement (SSA)
No of posts: One
Brief Project Description:
UNDP’s Poverty Reduction Programme assists national and state governments to implement inclusive poverty reduction programmes. It supports programmes, policies and partnerships that promote livelihood opportunities for the disadvantaged poor people and helps them access financial products to protect these gains.
In partnership with the National Planning Commission and state governments, the programme seeks to support state governments to design and implement livelihood strategies focusing on disadvantaged groups and regions.
In Rajasthan, Government of Rajasthan (GoR) and UNDP had been working with Rajasthan Mission on Livelihoods (RMOL) in supporting various aspects of livelihood promotion strategies for the poor. The focus is on identification of relevant livelihood interventions, creation of increased opportunities for diversifying livelihoods and skill development, establishment of rural employment exchanges, helping disadvantaged people to achieve employment opportunities through tailored skill training programmes.
Given this context, it is proposed to hire the services of a short term consultant who can design and develop the communication strategy / tool kit / products for the Government of Rajasthan-UNDP Project “State-Level Support to Livelihood Promotion Strategies”
Description of Duties:
1. Supports the formulation and implementation of communications and advocacy strategies, supports business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Preparation and conduct of communications needs assessments for the project
• Provision of information for elaboration of RMOL communications and outreach strategy
• Development of communication materials for marketing and awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases
• Review of reference materials, identification of reference materials for retention. Up-gradation and maintenance of its web-site, information database and photo and video libraries.
2. Provides support to the elaboration and implementation of the RMOL publications strategy and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Provision of inputs and information for elaboration of RMOL publications strategy and plan based on the UNDP’s corporate publications policy.
• Identification of storylines for publications and articles to UNDP’s communications products
• Technical supervision of translation/adaptation/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials. Contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production.
• Supervision of publications dissemination.
3. Upgrade the design and maintenance of the RMOL web site, knowledge management system focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Assistance in the designing, upgrading and maintaining of the RMOL web sites based in cooperation with the ICT staff of the project.
• Preparation/checking the content for the web site to ensure consistency of the materials.
• Develop stories of the poor people in Rajasthan with professional photographs and films
4. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Identification of film maker/ video-shooter to capture stories of poor people in the region/district where RMoL works
• Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme goals and activities.
• Organization and conduct of training and workshops on communications as appropriate.
a. Communications and advocacy strategy for RMOL and implementation plan
b. Publication strategy/guide and renewed brochures for RMOL
c. Redesigned RMOL website and its contents
d. Knowledge Products for the RMOL in discussion with Project Director/UNDP
Qualifications and experiences:
1. Master degree or equivalent in relevant field – Mass Communication, Public Relations, and Media studies
2. Minimum 5-7 years of relevant experiences including international level in providing communication packages to promote the activities of development organizations
3. Excellent communications and facilitation skills
4. Working experiences in Rajasthan is advantage
Language and computer skills
1. Excellent oral and writing skills in English and Hindi
2. Excellent computer skills in MS Word, Excel and Power Point
The services of the consultant will work from June 1st to December 31st, 2009.
Payment Schedule of Professional Fees
5% of the total contractual amount on signing the contract
5% on agreed work plan within 5 days of receiving the contract
15% on submission of deliverable as mentioned in a
45% on submission deliverables as mentioned in b and c
30% on submission and approval of deliverables as mentioned in d
Applications fo this consultancy should be preferably sent by email to email@example.com or addressed to the Procurement Division, United Nations Development Programme, 55, Lodi Estate, New Delhi 110003.