Program Communications Manager
The Jal Bhagirathi Foundation
Location: Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
Last Date: May 20, 2009
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
Program Communications Manager
Job Category: Senior Management.
Job Location: The Jal Bhagirathi Foundation’s “Water Resource Centre” in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India.
JBF is selecting a team of Development Professionals having program development and specialization in mass communication and public relations for a very large multi-donor project supported by UNDP. It is a very exciting job opportunity with tremendous potential for growth and learning.
1. Develop and implement a communication strategy to ensure visibility of JBF activities and our partner organizations
2. Provide tools for effective communication and networking within and outside the organization.
3. Independently leading advocacy research processes, bringing out publications and working closely with the advocacy team for appropriate dissemination of the research. We are looking for thinker-activists with a drive for making change happen.
4. Develop and implement a resource mobilization strategy, prepare project proposals and network with potential donors for project grants.
5. Manage the JBF Community Video Unit as a rural news and information network taking it forward creating linkages with national news and media outlets
6. Management of Public Communications and Public Relations at all levels.
7. Produce monthly newsletter, write success stories, write press releases and communicate with the media.
8. Contribute to developing the JBF website; maintain substantive part of the website and provide information to post on the website.
9. Develop and implement Communication tools, advocacy tools and manage events for water Management Programs.
10. Develop protocols to capture the best practices, case studies, etc
11. Showcase programs in national and international conferences and meetings.
12. Develop and produce all the Communication, advocacy and training materials required for the program
13. Engaging with media at the national, state and district levels.
14. Documenting the program activities and to create civil society institutions to promote volunteerism and facilitate participation of beneficiaries in the program activities.
15. Coordinate with government organizations, civil society institutions, other non-government organizations, media and other institutions.
16. Provide technical support to action oriented researches and program development
17. Develop advocacy programs/campaigns to ensure voices of the people are reflected in relevant policies.
18. Candidate looking for a long term carrier opportunity should be willing to re-locate to Jodhpur.
Desired Candidate Profile
1. Graduate / Post-Graduate (preferable) degree in mass communication, journalism, economics or related fields with excellent communication in oral as well as written English and the ability to make public presentations.
2. MUST have very good report writing skills with experience in developing project proposals through LFA and other RBM tools.
3. Candidates should have a strong background in development studies, and keenly interested in developing domain expertise in these exciting and new areas of theorisation and action.
4. The positions require a highly motivated self starter with a strong passion for research in water related issues, commitment to participatory development, and an interest in policy advocacy.
5. Good understanding of development issues in India and ability to communicate them simply and effectively
6. Candidate need not be a trained researcher but should have the ability to enquire and gather information, conduct in-depth interviews, source and follow leads and apply research meaningfully.
Remuneration will depend on appropriate skills and experience.
Last Date and address for applications
Last date of applications is 20th May 2009. All applications should be sent with a covering letters to the following email address:
Jal Bhagirathi Foundation (JBF) is a ISO 9001:2000 certified NGO headed by H.H. Maharaja Gaj Singh of Jodhpur and Shri Rajendra Singh (Magsaysay awardee 2001), and is working in 200 villages spread over 2500kms of the Marwar region in the Thar Desert of Rajasthan.
Jal Bhagirathi Foundation works towards strengthening the capacity of desert communities to manage their scarce water and natural resources through traditional best practices. With active participation from the community JBF acts as a catalyst and facilitator for the construction and restoration of traditional water harvesting structures in the Marwar region.
Common property resources like pasturelands; sacred groves, gravely lands and cultivable wastelands play an important role in preserving the local bio-diversity. JBF is attempting to empower village level institutions to adopt a pragmatic approach towards development and restoration of common property resources, benefits of which will accrue to the entire village community.
The strategy focuses on capacity building and training of rural community for development and proper management of ecological resources. The Foundation follows a participatory approach and emphasizes on strengthening village level institutions to effectively manage natural resources. Women empowerment is promoted through their participation in project planning, execution and management. Sustenance and effective governance of ecological resources is therefore ensured through participation of stakeholders.
All programs, activities and strategies of the Foundation aim towards one goal: involving, empowering and making the village community self-reliant.
The Foundation has also initiated an action oriented advocacy campaign to further the cause of a clear water sector policy and related reforms. It believes that the voice of the people should be heard before policies are framed for their benefit; from objects of policies, people should become subjects of these policies. For more information about the Foundation, please visit our website at www.jalbhagirathi.org
Contact Details of the Foundation
Name and address:
Jal Bhagirathi Foundation
D66 (B), Sawai Madho Singh Road,
Jaipur 302 016
Telephone numbers +91-141-4025119 (Ext. 102)
Contact Person: Ms. Hetal Shah