Research Utilization Specialist, PROGRESS
Family Health International (FHI)
Location: New Delhi, India
Last Date: May 10, 2009
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
Date of Issue: 27 April 2009
Closing Date: 10 May 2009
Post Title : Research Utilization Specialist, PROGRESS
Organization : Family Health International (FHI)
Location : India, New Delhi
FHI is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified and experienced people living with HIV/AIDS are encouraged to apply.
FAMILY HEALTH INTERNATIONAL :
Family Health International (FHI) is dedicated to improving lives, knowledge, and understanding worldwide through a highly diversified program of research, education, and services in family health and HIV/AIDS prevention and care.
PROGRESS (Program Research for Strengthening Services) is a new five year US$50 million project to improve family planning in developing countries. It provides global technical leadership with concentrated activities in selected countries. PROGRESS seeks to improve access to quality family planning services with an emphasis on reaching underserved populations. PROGRESS will achieve this by expanding service delivery options to include integration with other reproductive health services and use of non-health sector outlets. In addition PROGRESS will seek to address medical barriers that limit access to quality family planning services and also promote task shifting as a means for relieving overworked highly trained medical personnel of tasks that can be performed by personnel with appropriate but less training. For this to be achieved PROGRESS will foster and strengthen synergies between its global technical leadership and focus country activities. Activities will include reducing unnecessary medical and policy restrictions, promoting innovative delivery approaches for hard-to-reach groups, identifying new programmatic research areas to generate quality evidence for program innovations, to strengthen use of proven/promising interventions and to improve access and use of appropriate and cost effective contraceptive methods and technologies. All activities will also seek to build the capacity of researchers and of program managers to apply new knowledge.
PROGRESS will concentrate in focus countries and will respond to requests from other country missions for technical assistance to introduce, adapt, and scale up best practices. This work will contribute to global technical leadership (GTL). USAID/India Mission has approved India as a focus country for PROGRESS.
• Works in collaboration with North Carolina-based PROGRESS Research Utilization staff to advance the use of FHI research findings and knowledge within policy and programs in India.
• Builds and maintains links with partners and stakeholders (international and local organizations, research organizations, and relevant government bodies) working in India and supports efforts to implement core and field support funded research utilization activities. Duties include initiating and maintaining contacts, conducting outreach, and supporting FHI’s research utilization efforts in ongoing inter-agency working groups and through technical assistance to programs, among others.
• With the goal of documenting and/or promoting research utilization (i.e., processes, challenges, successes), gathers, analyzes, and synthesizes information from multiple sources to write or help write materials such as synthesis documents, advocacy materials, strategies, concept papers, reports, workplans, and other documents. Obtains information via interviews with researchers, current medical and scientific literature on contraceptive and reproductive health, internal documents, and other materials. Some activities may involve working with RU staff in North Carolina, especially when documents may involve global technical leadership.
• Assists in designing, developing, and implementing strategies and program activities that promote the utilization of FHI research. This will include working with researchers at FHI HQ to develop research in a way that maximizes the potential of research utilization, and, if appropriate, the scale up of tested interventions.
• Helps to identify potential opportunities to promote use of evidence through partnerships with local and international organizations and relevant government bodies; local and regional events; steering committee, task force and other meetings; and relevant conferences. Through such partnerships, meetings and events, represents FHI and assists in identifying and making background materials available for dissemination, presentation, and discussion.
• Assists in implementing media outreach and other communications strategies, as needed, to promote public understanding of the conduct and results of research, working in conjunction with headquarters as necessary (especially regarding large media-related issues).
• Coordinates print production of publications.
• Helps maintain contact and research utilization indicators database.
• Performs other duties as assigned by Research Director
• In depth knowledge of family planning/reproductive health issues and programs in India.
• Proven track record of working with government, local and international health organizations, research organizations and other major stakeholder groups in India.
• Experience working with evidence-based public health programs and providing assistance to organizations and/or government on adapting or using evidence-based materials, training curricula, job aids, etc.
• Knowledge of information dissemination or communications, media systems and structures, and electronic information resources.
• Experience writing high-quality reports, articles, feature stories, and research syntheses.
• Demonstrated ability to gather (via interviews and library/Internet research) information related to health, science, or medicine as a basis for writing high-quality, accurate publications.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English, both in writing and verbally. Must have excellent grammar and spelling abilities so that prose is understandable to various audiences, including Web users, medical personnel, program staff, partners, and the public in the U.S. and in developing countries. Writing samples must be submitted with resume (Please send word Documents).
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team to advance the interest of public health programs working in India.
• Ability to create easily understandable, succinct messages from complicated information. Experience writing succinct documents (e.g., policy or advocacy briefs) an asset.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and experience establishing and maintaining good relationships with a wide variety of professionals and organizations.
• Ability to evaluate relevance of data or information, as well as work with staff to resolve differences in interpretation of information.
• Excellent organizational and analytical skills, with special attention to detail.
• Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time, with minimal supervision and under pressure of tight deadlines.
• Ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically in a team as part of a team or independently.
• In depth knowledge of the current international literature related to reproductive health, including family planning, HIV/AIDS, contraception, and maternal and child health. Global technical knowledge of contraceptives and related service delivery issues. Global knowledge of or experience with research utilization, best practices, or evidence-based medicine.
• International experience and experience working with USAID collaborating agencies.
• Knowledge of publications and print production management
EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• BS/BA in social sciences or communications field with 6-9 years full-time professional experience working in promoting research results through various activities, including publications, or a MA in public health or communications with 4-6 years full-time professional experience.
• This is not an expatriate position. No expatriate benefits or allowances provided.
• Compensation levels at FHI are equivalent to market rates within the development sector. However, offers shall be based on salary history, relevant experience and qualifications.
Please send your resumes at email@example.com . It is necessary to mention the post title in subject line while applying. Selected candidates will be required to join within one month of selection. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.