Programme Coordinator - Essential Services
Location: New Delhi
Last Date: April 26, 2009
Email: Vacancies@oxfamindia.org (Reference:
Programme Coordinator - Essential Services
About Oxfam India Oxfam India is a result of the merger of the different Oxfam’s that have been operating in India for the last fifty years as separate entities: Oxfam Trust, Oxfam GB, Oxfam Novib, Oxfam Australia, Oxfam Hong Kong and Intermon Oxfam (Spain). It undertakes all the activities of an Oxfam affiliate: international and national rights-based programming, international and national advocacy and campaigning, humanitarian response and fundraising. As a national member of an international confederation, it plays a strategic role in campaigns and advocacy, both domestically and internationally. Oxfam India aims to be a role model for promoting gender equality and diversity.
Job Title Programme Coordinator - Essential Services
Department Programme & Advocacy
Location New Delhi
Level / Pay Band L-3
Contract 2 Year Fixed Term (renewable)
Reports To Essential Services Lead Specialist
Scope of Position In line with Oxfam’s strategic plans and policy guidelines to work under the leadership of the Essential Services Lead in planning, implementing, monitoring and decision making on agreed objectives / issues related to India Essential Services programme. Participate in and contribute to the development of wider institutional strategy
Key Responsibilities • To support the team in establishing link between micro-level project work and macro policy and practices and identify opportunities and strategies to influence policies and practices linked with essential services
• To manage relationship with Oxfam programme partners through regular visits and undertake project appraisal, monitoring, evaluation, including financial monitoring; and ensure minimum organisational programme management standards
• To manage grant processing and ensure that the terms of contract (in case minimum funds received from others donors) are met. To ensure that Oxfam’s basic minimum standards in procedures are maintained across the programme as well as India’s legal and financial requirements. Ensure adherence and recommend improvements to the system as necessary to maintain minimum organisational standards.
• To undertake specific research and policy analysis as well as establish and manage national level partnerships for advocacy on issues concerning essential services.
• Analyse social, economic, cultural and political situation of the area and its impact on people. Use the collective knowledge gained through initiatives in strategic planning and programme development, monitoring and evaluation in line with agreed programme objectives.
• Conduct and facilitate issue-based networking with civil society organisations and coordinate with Government, donors and international agencies on programme issues within the country.
• To manage donor relationship, with regular information and reporting.
• To produce quality reports and documentation etc. for management as well as communication purposes nationally and internationally
• To support the process of capacity building of project partners.
• To actively participate in and contribute to all team processes leading to programme development, management and effective functioning of the team s/he is part of.
• Responding to humanitarian crisis is Oxfam’s mandate and requires all senior staff like this position to participate in any humanitarian programme (preparedness, response and rehabilitation) if the management decides.
• Ensure adherence to Oxfam’s Gender, Diversity and Equal Opportunities policies
Qualifications and Experience • Six years experience of which at least three years of experience in development sector in a coordinators role.
• Proven ability in social research and macro policy analysis
• To have good knowledge and work experience in at least one key area of education, health or any other essential services.
• Highly evolved communication and PR skills. Exposure to mass media is an added advantage
• Strong analytical, conceptual and strategic thinking skills
• Substantial experience of development work in NGOs. An understanding of the socio-economic and political and ecological conditions of the region
• Proven track record of achieving results and of programme and finance management skills
• Ability to manage relationships with donors, significant institutions and senior government officials
• Proven track record of achieving results and demonstrable people management skills.
• Ability to respond effectively in the event of humanitarian disasters.
• Ability to facilitate interaction between development practitioners at various levels
• Sensitivity to gender and diversity issues
• Strong interpersonal skills to work as part of a team
• Excellent communication skills with fluency in written and verbal English and at least one major Indian language
• Information technology skills
Relocation During the course of employment the post holder may be required to move base on a temporary or permanent basis to any workplace controlled by Oxfam India
Travel Ability to travel within country and abroad as required.
Date Issued 17th April 2009
Approved By Ratna Vishwanathan
All applications should be sent to Vacancies@oxfamindia.org
All applicants to put “Ref. Name of the Position” as the subject line
All applications should have the covering letter and the CV as one attachment, in a word format.
The deadline for receiving applications for all the three positions is 26 April 2009