Last Date: April 26, 2009
Email: Vacancies@oxfamindia.org (Reference:
About Oxfam India
Oxfam India is a result of the merger of the different Oxfam’s that have been operating in India for the last fifty years as separate entities: Oxfam Trust, Oxfam GB, Oxfam Novib, Oxfam Australia, Oxfam Hong Kong and Intermon Oxfam (Spain). It undertakes all the activities of an Oxfam affiliate: international and national rights-based programming, international and national advocacy and campaigning, humanitarian response and fundraising. As a national member of an international confederation, it plays a strategic role in campaigns and advocacy, both domestically and internationally. Oxfam India aims to be a role model for promoting gender equality and diversity.
Job Title Finance Officer
Level / Pay Band L 4
Contract 2 Years Fixed Term (renewable)
Reports To Regional Manager
Scope of Position To assist in providing and maintaining efficient & effective financial services to Oxfam’s program in Kolkata. Responsible for implementation of defined areas of work within the finance function. To ensure that Oxfam in India has effective approaches to financial management and control, ensure consistent & robust financial systems and generation of timely & accurate information to support the business of the organisation.
Key Responsibilities • Check bills and invoices for payments following Oxfam’s standard procedures and statutory requirements;
• Monitor outstanding items appearing in reconciliation statement and enure are cleared within reasonable time;
• Ensure transactions are correctly posted in Tally
• Maintain float and advance registers and monitor timely settlement;
• Maintain schedules for debtors/creditors and monitor the movements of the accounts;
• Clear the currency balances in each month and prepare the balance sheet check lists;
• Generate reports required for management information.
• Ensure spending on projects taking place only when approved and all documentations are in place;
• Ensure proper preservation of financial data and documentation as per established procedures;
• Act as back-up during leave of absence/temporary vacancy;
• Assist FM in the preparation of annual budgets for the RC;
• Provide support in the quarterly reconciliation and yearend accounting process to country programmes;
• Support programme staff at Kolkata.
Qualifications and Experience • Four years experience in financial management, preferably with exposure to maintaining large volumes of data in a data base environment; out of which at least 2 years have been in the development sector and at least one year experience as a Finance officer
• Master degree in any business discipline (preferably with professional qualification from any recognised professional institute)
• Fluent written and spoken English;
• Computer literate – proven experience of working in advanced word processing/spreadsheet/accounting package is essential.
• Sound numerical skills.
• Good team player and builder.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Good time management.
• Ability to work independently, with initiative and with problem-solving ability.
• Commitment to the aims and objectives of Oxfam.
Relocation During the course of employment the post holder may be required to move base on a temporary or permanent basis to any workplace controlled by Oxfam India
Travel Ability to travel within country and abroad as required.
Date Issued 17th April 2009
Approved By Ratna Vishwanathan
All applications should be sent to Vacancies@oxfamindia.org
All applicants to put “Ref. Name of the Position” as the subject line
All applications should have the covering letter and the CV as one attachment, in a word format.
The deadline for receiving applications for all the three positions is 26 April 2009