Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Last Date: May 5, 2009
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Reference:
JOB PROFILE EPIDEMIOLOGIST
CONTEXT OF MSF ACTIVITIES:
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), also known as Doctors Without Borders, is a private international, medical, humanitarian organisation present in India since the 1980s . The programs of MSF mainly focus on providing an emergency medical assistance during natural and man-made disasters. MSF also intervenes in chronic public health problems like kala azar, malaria, TB and HIV. MSF has achieved excellent international recognition, including winning the Nobel Peace Prize and the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize. working all over the world.
MSF OCBA, the Spanish branch of the organisation with its headquarters in Barcelona, has been present in India since 2007 and working in Bihar State since early 2007. At the moment the MSF OCBA is carrying on the following activities:
a.. In 2007 MSF OCBA started a comprehensive treatment program for visceral leishmaniasis in 9 highly endemic districts in Bihar State,collaborating with the State MOH, the RMRI and national agencies.
b.. In January 2009 MSF OCBA began a two year nutritional project to diagnose and treat of complicated and severe acute malnutrition in children aged under 5 in Darbhanga District.
At the same time MSF OCBA has intervened in the following emergencies:
- In 2004, during the flood in Khagharia, providing health assistance and Non Food Item distributions for the population affected by the disaster.
- In August 2007, in Darbhanga District,Bihar State.
- In 2008 assisting the population of Araria District, after the severe flooding in August.
- In March 2009 MSF supported the MoH in Tripura with the meningococcal meningitis outbreak
MSF OCBA is also planning to open up a 3 year project in Jharkhand State, Dumka and Sahibganj districts, later in 2009.
The MSF OCBA office in Delhi provides support and co-ordination for these activities. The team in Dehli is made up of international volunteers from several different countries and Indian staff.
JOB TITLE: Epidemiologist
JOB LOCATION: Primarily in Delhi, with frequent travels to the project locations
PLACE WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION:
Functionally and Hierarchically accountable to the Medical Coordinator
OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION:
To bestow quality on MSFE-OCBA projects in India Mission by:
- Being responsible of the Health Information System (HIS).
- Designing and developing proposals for Operational Research.
- Designing and developing reports / articles on regular basis for internal and external dissemination of information.
- Performing project evaluations and developing specific recommendations.
- Designing and managing medical databases as needed.
- Supporting Medical Coordinator when collecting and analyzing health-related data.
- Conducting, and providing technical support to, epidemiological studies.
- Supporting the Medical Coordinator when dealing with epidemiological issues: methodology, warning and follow-up systems, control of endemic diseases and epidemics according to the Emergency Preparedness Plan (EPP).
- Providing epidemiological training to national and expatriate staff.
- Contributing to MSF emergency interventions
TASKS AND RESPONSABILITIES:
Support the Medical Coordinator in the evaluation and implementation of the Health information System (HIS) in the project(s) and the design / adaptation of specific data collection tools for the project as needed.
Monitor news outlets and epidemiological sources for outbreaks and medical situations of concern.
Responsible for establishing the collection and regular analysis of the project data.
Design an epidemiologic surveillance system and provide timely technical inputs and counselling to India Mission with regards to epidemiological issues in the SEA region in general and India in particular according to the country EPP.
Design and conduct training activities for MSF staff and external partners regarding epidemiological issues, databases and Operational Research.
Participate in the selection of the national staff who will be responsible of data collection and analysis at project sites when needed. Prepare and do special training and follow up of these people.
Design and develop proposals for Operational Research as per Mission/projects objectives and/or MSF operational priorities
Submit timely reports of collected data to MedCo.
Conduct bibliographic searches
Actively participate in the creation of technical documents, working tools and research regarding relevant issues of interest for MSF-OCBA.
Collaborate (on behalf of MSF) on at least 2 scientific publications per year on topics proposed to / by the MedCo.
Review the monthly medical report from the projects.
Provide regular activity reports and timely epidemiologic alerts to the MedCo.Participate in scientific fora on medical and humanitarian care at the request of MedCo.
Participate in exploratory missions to new context and/or emergencies as needed.
Participate in communication activities in the field according to the needs and at the request of the General Coordinator.
MSC in Epidemiology,
Or BACHELORS DEGREE in epidemiology
Or MBBS + MPH + experience
Or MBBS + 5 years experience in epidemiology
Experience with NGOs as an asset
Interested candidate should send their CVs to email@example.com, at the attention of Alessandra Nicola. Closing date for application is the 5th of may.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and interviews will take place between the 11th and the 15th of may.